Monday, April 8, 2013

An Early Christmas


A few weeks ago I sent a "return care package" to my favorite author, Mr. Michael Dirda.  In a past blog post I described how I shipped some of my favorite copies of his works to him for inscription.  And I closed the post saying I would tell you how it all turned out.  Well, Mr. Dirda, a busy but generous man indeed, inscribed my copies and returned them using my self-addressed envelopes.  I do say it felt like Christmas morning when I saw the package on the front porch this afternoon.  In the picture above, in my copy of On Conan Doyle: Or, The Whole Art of Storytelling, you might be able just to make out his inscription: "To Christopher, The Game is Always Afoot."  For the none Sherlockian fan, it is a quote from Sherlock Holmes, first seen in "The Adventure of the Abbey Grange," when Holmes tells Watson, "Come. Watson, come! The game is afoot. Not a word! Into your clothes and come!"  Leading us into another fantastic story.  

I know I'll enjoy and treasure these inscribed editions for many, many years.  Although, I guess it bears repeating: write an author whose work you respect, admire, or simply enjoy.  You really never know how your favorite author may respond.  


1 comment: